Under 30 Minutes
Instead of appetizers, these should be called 'happitizers' because when you serve them, the spicy, sweet taste makes people very, very happy.
2 (9-ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts total)
1/2 pound ground lean beef
1 1/4 cups CHI-CHI'S® 16 oz Thick & Chunky Salsa Medium, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1. Let wrapped pie crusts stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 400ºF.
3. In large skillet, brown beef; drain, if necessary.
4. Stir 1/2 cup salsa, the onion, raisins, olives, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and cinnamon into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed.
5. Using 3 1/4-inch round cutter, cut each pie crust into 8 circles. Spoon scant tablespoon beef mixture onto half of each circle. Brush edge of dough with beaten egg. Fold dough in half; seal edges with fingers, fork or pastry crimper. Place on baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Bake 12 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
6. In bowl, mix cream cheese and remaining 3/4 cup salsa until smooth. Serve empanaditas warm with cream cheese and salsa mixture.