More than 1 Hour
More than 1 Hour
Fried Ice Cream Bowls
Satisfry your sweet tooth. Hey, fried ice cream fanatics, here’s the scoop: enjoy cinnamon-covered balls of vanilla ice cream served up golden brown in a CHI-CHI’S® flour tortilla bowl.
2 cups vanilla ice cream
2 cups sweetened cornflake crumbs, lightly crushed
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
1-2 quarts cooking oil for frying
4 CHI-CHI'S® Flour Tortillas, Soft Taco size
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Honey, whipped cream and maraschino cherries
1. Scoop ice cream into 4 (1/2 cup) sized balls.
2. In resealable plastic bag, combine sweetened cornflake crumbs and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll each ice cream ball into the cornflake mixture until coated on all sides and place in the freezer until very firm, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and remaining cinnamon.
3. Heat waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions, heat the cooking oil in a deep fryer or a heavy saucepan to 350°F.
4. Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with melted butter. Place a tortilla shell in the waffle maker and heat until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
5. Remove the tortilla from the waffle maker and sprinkle with ¼ of the cinnamon and sugar mixture. To form a waffle bowl, place each tortilla shell inside a large custard cup or ramekin; overlapping the edges to form a bowl. Repeat with the remaining tortilla shells and sugar mixture.
6. Using a basket or a metal slotted spoon, fry the hardened ice cream balls one at a time 8 to 10 seconds or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
7. Place an ice cream ball in each tortilla shell. Drizzle with a little honey and top with whipped cream and a cherry. Serve immediately. Serves 4.